Thursday 10 February 2011

The Windsor Castle

I was thinking that this next pub might be a bit of a disappointment after the Churchill Arms had been so good.  How wrong I was!  The Windsor Castle is a really fantastic pub.  Again on entry the mood and atmosphere of the pub hits you and you feel immediately at home.  The dark wooden tables, bar and wpartitions give it genuine traditional pub feel.  No wonder it is in the national heritage pub inventory.  I’ve not got into the historic pub thing too much yet but I totally appreciate what they are doing as this type of pub is amazing to visit and could never be replaced by a horrible soulless air port lounge style Slug and Lettuce pub.  I’d always rather drink in a pub like the Windsor Castle than any other.  We got a seat by the door to the garden.  We didn’t see the garden on the day though as it was dark and cold.  

Pic off their website

My picture

Pub sign

The pub had a good range of ales and lager.  The lagers were all decent looking and they had the likes of Leffe and Aspalls Cider on tap which is a nice touch of class.  On tap they had White Horse Porter, which I had and it was a very good beer and I hope the brewery grows in size and is successful.  Also on tap was Sambrooks Wandle and Liberation Ale, which seems to be doing the rounds at the moment.  I’d not seen it till a few weeks ago.  

We sat in the pub for a few beers and enjoyed every moment.  Again this is well deserved of being in the good pub guide.   I will be going back to this pub in the summer to see the garden.  I thought it was such a fantastic pub.  I’d travel a long way to have a pint here.  As it turned out it was an easy winner for our favourite pub of the day!

1 comment: