Thursday 10 February 2011

The Churchill Arms

I met the lads, Woody and Frosty at Charring Cross.  Woody and I nipped down to the Princess of Wales for a pint while we waited for Frosty.  I had a great pint of Hook Norton Jackpot a beer I’d not had before.  Just a quick note on the Princess of Wales...  First impressions are of any other city pub with its fairly modern design but upon closer inspection you’ll find that they have a really good range of ales on tap.  Its actually a really good pub with good beer and knowledgeable staff.  I go there regularly and it never lets me down.  When I was there they had six ales on, Hook Norton Jackpot, Lancaster Red, Red Dragon, Brains SA, Pride and Doom Bar.  I’d recommend going there anytime.  



Frosty arrived and we headed over to the Churchill Arms the first pub on our walk.  We were pretty excited about getting there and seeing if it was as good as the book made out.  We were not let down.  Upon entering the put we could tell straight away it was good.  There was a warm bustling atmosphere and it was nicely full in there.  We got served so quickly Woody couldn’t even decide what to have that fast.  I didn’t blame him, the choice was good.  Being a Fullers pub they had their full range on tap, fresh up from Chiswick.  I had two pints of very nice ESB, Woody and Frosty were savouring the other Fullers selections such as Chiswick and Discovery.  

ESB


The pub is pretty big with a long curved bar.  We got a seat after 10 minutes or so.  Once sitting we could look up and really take a moment to observe some of items decorating the pub walls and ceiling.  The pub is full of different interesting, pub and Churchill related items.  There is so much it would not be possible to take them all in on one visit.  The outside is known as well for being decorated with flowers.  They had a few TVs too showing the rugby.  They are well set out though so if you did want a TV free pint you could sit on the other side of the bar.  This pub is definitely deserving of being in the GPG!  We were sad to be moving on but also excited to be on the way to another good pub guide pub.  I will be going back to the Churchill Arms.  

Churchill

“Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.” Winston Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment