Thursday 10 February 2011

The rest of the Notting Hill Stumble

Having been to two truly great and interesting pubs with outstanding attributes in many areas it was tough to move on.  Suffice to say the next pub was going to struggle to keep up that level of class.  The Uxbridge Arms is a pretty local looking pub.  We got some beers in and were feeling pretty merry by this point already.  The rest of the pub walk did become more of a stumble.  We thought the Uxbridge was alright and if I was looking for a quiet pint it would be a good place to go.  They did have Harveys on tap which is always a good beer.  

Next pub was the Cock and Bottle.  I make no excuses for being drunk by this point as I had been to the two pubs on my list that I was interested in seeing so things in my note book get a bit confusing! The notes I had under this pub simply say ‘mood buzzing’ which I would take as it being a busy pub with a good atmosphere.  It was pretty busy in there when were there.  I also noted that they had ‘usual beers’, they did have at least three ales on tap.  Then my notes say ‘tiny stools’ and ‘shut up Jeremy’?  I really hope the stools were not stool and I think the ‘shut up Jeremy’ related to a framed piece of paper with those words on above the bar.    Apparently the landlord was friendly, probably because we were hammered and spending loads of money there.  We tried all the pig snacks and crisps they had.  As such we gave it the highest rating for pub snacks on the day.  This is despite the fact we didn’t try snacks at the others!  Having previously noted there were no children allowed, it’s a bit confusing that I note in capitals that SMALL PEOPLE ALLOWED.  

Pints and Snacks in the Cock and Bottle


The Prince of Wales is hazy in the memory.  I do remember a huge obese man being there and sitting at the bar discussing how I disliked seeing huge coffee machines behind the bar.  My only note of any real value sates that the pub is a bit generic.  

Getting a bit hazy now!


The last pub the Kings Head, is a total write off in my memory.  I think Woody had also had enough beer by that point and was starting to move towards becoming Lord Chunder.  Frosty was still going strong somehow!  I have a vague memory of it being quite big with a few decent beers but that is all.  

A short break en route to the pub

Last pint for Woody.

We went to another pub I think??  Then to a Turkish restaurant which was crap and my last note for the evening states quite simply, San Miguel = SHIT.  Which I would state at any time sober or as I was the other day not so sober.  

It was a good day out and going to a pub as good as the Windsor Castle is always a treat!  The walk was a good route and I’m looking forward to seeing Woody and Frosty again soon I hope. 

2 comments:

  1. An excellent evening was had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of a Notting hill pubs, it can't be forgotten about good old The Castle situated on long and narrow Portobello road. As I used to work in that pub some while ago, I started a blog about history and events within the pub community. The emphasis was on the art, music, food, drinks and good times. You can still check it out by clicking on this link:

    www.thecastlepub.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete