Sunday 9 January 2011

Little Bo Peep

Little Bo Peep lost her sheep - But found them again, added a yorksire pudding and some veg, and had a very nice meal! 

Pub number two on the journey to visit all 59 Good Pub Guide Pubs in London, took me to the Bo Peep, which is in the South London section of the GPG, despite it feeling very much like a countryside pub.

Feeling and looking very much like a country pub was a very pleasant experience from my usual city life.  The slight glimmer of the docklands sky scrapers was still visible over fields in the distance, but all around is countryside.  The pub is not far from the M25 and would be a good stop off for anyone not from London, on their way somewhere.  I went along for Sunday lunch with some friends, and luckily I had booked a table because it was packed.

The food was good, we had lamb and beef roasts, and fish pie, and they were all well prepared.  The ladies serving were pretty switched on, service was good.  They even went the extra mile and made us extra apple and rhubard crumble.

The Bo Peep - Chelsfield


What can I grumble about...not much, the only minor thing is only three ales on tap, but that is just being really picky.  They were serving very well kept Harveys Bitter, Adnams and Courage Best.  They were also doing wine, but I wont profess to know at all what is good and what is not when it comes to wine.

I think my biggest gripe during the visit, was the world crushing news that there were no pork scratchings.  How can a pub hold its proverbial head high in the competitive world of pubs without getting its bar snacks in order? 

The bar was certainly bustling with customers,  I'd like to have the chance one day to go there for a quiet pint by the real wood fire they have.  The low beamed ceilings of the main bar and the views over fields would make this a great spot for a chilled out beer any winter evening.  In the summer the pub garden would be good too, I'd imagine.  Whether I'll make it back this year or not we shall see, but overall, if you live nearby, I'd say it's worth a visit to get out of 'London' and feel a bit of that country pub atmosphere for a while.

For a 'London' pub, or a pub that close to London (only 30 minutes drive from my house in Greenwich) to have that atmosphere and decor, was really nice.  I would say however, that if you were to venture only a little further out into Kent then you be able to visit some better (my opinion) 'country style' pubs like the Swan in West Peckham or the Spotted Dog near Penshurst.

No comments:

Post a Comment