Wednesday 17 August 2011

Jerusalem


A place of pilgrimage for many devote followers...of good beer.  The Jerusalem Tavern in Farringdon is worth the trip or pilgrimage if you will.  Being the only St Peters pub in London (another holy reference) makes it all the more special. 

The Jerusalem Tavern

Entering the pub and passing the drinkers outside I could immediately tell I was going to like it.  The pub inside is small and having not been there before I asked the bar man if what I could see was the whole pub, he chuckled and confirmed it was.  Both bar men were nice blokes, friendly and willing to chat about the different beers.  People were reading having a nice pint, chilling out, or chatting with mates.  I was early as usual so shared a table and waited.  It was nice to have a moment to have a look at the pub for a while.  The wooden mismatched tables, and benches give an air of time worn charm.  There is a raised platform with some seat up near the bar which would be a cool place to sit if you can get it.  It’s a real historic pub interior with none of the piped music, posters or curly writing of other pubs.  



The pub has a few of the beer on tap if you want to buy those but the bottles were the best bottled beers I’ve had in a pub in a long time.  The pub sells all the bottled beers from the Suffolk brewery and I didn’t have one I didn’t like all night.  The classic oval shaped bottles stacked up around where we were standing outside.  People spill outside the pub and even across the street. 

It was a great visit and a pub well worth making the pilgrimage to drink the holy beer of St Peter.  I’d recommend this pub highly and look forward to my next visit.  

Pilgrims

No comments:

Post a Comment