Friday 1 July 2011

The Royal Oak


I’ve finished my sporting commitments for the year so will be getting on with my pubs quest.  I wanted to get one in over the weekend if I could so I went to The Royal Oak on the corner of Tabard Street in Borough.  It was a Saturday afternoon so not prime time drinking and the pub was about half full.  Most of the tables were taken by people sitting around chatting.  The pub is owned by Harveys of Lewes and is their only London pub.  I told the bar lady about my pub quest and she recommended a pint of the mild to start with (I don’t know if that was out of concern for my liver or not).  

The Royal Oak


The pub is located in the backstreets off Borough High Street and is almost everything you would hope for in a classic backstreet pub.  Inside it is split in half by the bar which dominates the centre of the room.  A large ornate section at the back of the bar made of carved wood cumulates in a big clock.  The range of beers is good with almost all the Harvey’s offerings being on sale.  They also have a guest beer and fullers London pride.  It was clear that the pub has a good reputation with ale drinkers of London, two of the blokes in there were wearing real ale tshirts.  I found the beers to be exceptionally well kept and the porter I had was very good, with its smoky, charcoal, flavours and sweet caramel and bitter coffee notes.  



I had a look at the menu which had to be one of the most classic examples of British pub grub I’ve every seen.  Loads of simple, comforting food and by the looks of what other were getting good portions too. 

I thoroughly enjoyed sitting there on a Saturday afternoon with my girlfriend enjoying some good company, good beers and a pack of dry roasted nuts.  However I felt that I wanted to check out the pub during a more prime time slot. 



The following Friday with a few blokes from work I went back to the Royal Oak.  All the pubs on the way were rammed, we got to the Royal Oak and….. it was empty again.  Well there were a few tables taken but we walked straight up to the bar where the bar man put down his paper and served us.  So the backstreet location off the main thoroughfare along with the classic pub interior of with no music doesn’t make it the liveliest pub in the area.  That would be my only negative observation as the one thing it did seem to lack was a bit of atmosphere.  I really do not understand why Harvey’s have not bought a more centrally located London pub, they could do better in my opinion. 

Overall if you are looking for a quite drink and a very good pint of real ale then this is the place to visit.  It is let down by its location which is a shame as it is a beautiful well managed pub.  If only it had a bit more atmosphere it would be much better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment