Thursday 24 March 2011

Research


I took a holiday with my lovely girlfriend and whilst away did a bit of pub research.  I thought I’d check out some of the Good Pub Guide pubs that are over in the Cotswolds.  Having had a look in the little maps provided in the middle of the book I realised to my delight that the Cotswolds had to have the highest density of GPG pubs anywhere in the country.  Every other little village seemed to have a pub that was listed.  They must be doing something right then and also there must be some fierce competition and high standards.  

I was not let down.... Apart from the fact the Cotswolds are a beautiful part of the country with very picturesque villages they also had quality pubs to match.  The first I visited was The Eight Bells Inn in Chipping Camden.  A typical honey coloured stone Cotswold building.  They had three wood fires burning inside keeping the rooms warm.  Good beer on tap too, Purity Brewery (Mad Goose), Wye Valley Brewery (HPA), and Hook Norton.  I really enjoyed sitting for a few hours on the Sunday, Monday and Thursday nights.  They do really good food as well which changed every night I was there and was locally sourced.  I had a really good fish and chips there and a good steak too.  

Cotswolds Village


So the Eight Bells seemed to sum up for me what a good pub should be.  It was the type of pub that locals could be comfortable in and have a chat to Neil the bar man and also was good for visitors to sit by the fire and have a good meal.  

Eight Bells Inn


The next pub I went to was in Bretforton.  The Fleece Inn is owned by the National Trust and is over 600 years old.  A pub has been on the site since 1848.  I entered the pub into the small bar area at the entrance and was greeted by several large bearded men.  The beers were good although not numerous.  The pub is a genuine backcountry pub with dark low beamed ceilings and a big fire place.  This is not a posh nosh gastro pub with modern designs and airly feel to the pub.  This felt like a mans pub, the kind of place you’d go after a hard day in the fields.  The locals had the fire place covered and so they should in my opinion, it’s their pub after all.  I did like this pub though, it had great nooks to sit in and relax.  The locals were friendly and service was good.  I really like the sense of history, the old beams and worn floor seemed to ooze history.  I loved it!  This is a totally different type of pub to the eight bells, it is all about the character and feel of the place.   

The Fleece Inn


Another pub, on the way home just to finish off the holiday was a must.  We stopped off at The Plough in Kingham.  Again a totally different pub than the last two pubs, this pub is a more modern light airy design.  Daffodils in the windows added to the light spring atmosphere.  The focus at this pub is on food.  The beers were local and well kept.  They make a real effort with the food at this pub and it is truly excellent!  They make everything at the pub, even the bread.  The food we had was so tasty.  What a perfect end to the holiday.  

The Plough


I was so lucky with the pubs I went to on this trip that really gave quality spectrum of top notch English pubs.  The comfortable relaxed atmosphere of the Eight Bells, the character of The Fleece Inn and the great food of The Plough.  I have seen a lot which I will be able to take back to London with me to help me decide on the best pub in London. 

No comments:

Post a Comment